Life has been keeping me very busy since the start of 2014. Not wanting to neglect my blog altogether (it’s on my list of intentions, remember!), I’m going to bring you a series of quick tips you can use to help you get and stay organized. These are all things I do in my own home.
First up, hooks. I don’t think I have enough words to express how much I love and use hooks. By installing hooks (yes more than one) inside each of your closets, you’re making it that much easier to keep all that extra “stuff” off of the floor, such as:
- Purses (if the straps are leather, make sure the purse itself is not too heavy before hanging)
- Totes and reusable shopping bags
- Dog leashes
A hook inside your closet door or a set of over the door hooks is especially helpful when it comes to dealing with clothing. A hook is better than the floor, for sure. Here’s some ideas:
- Pull out tomorrow’s outfit and hang it on the back of your closet.
- After you get in your comfy clothes, hang up today’s outfit, giving it time to breathe before getting returned to the closet.
- Use a hook for your everyday coat. (yes, sometimes its too much for me to put my coat back on the right hanger)
- Hang up hoodies and jeans and yoga pants – or other things you wear all the dang time.
The hook itself does not need to be pretty or expensive. In my coat closet we’re currently using large nails that were already in there when we moved in. Our reusuable totes live there and the handles cover up the nail completely. Also, Ikea is a great source for attractive, functional, and inexpensive (of course) hooks.